Chile: Sustainable Wine Country

Hello and welcome to my travel blog! I want to start off with a topic I'm extremely passionate about, no matter what industry I am in: Sustainability.

In the Conde Nast Traveler magazine, there was a great article on Chilean viticulture and it got me thinking about a trip to South America.
                                                    
My husband is very fond of Chilean wines and I've enjoyed the one or two I have tasted but after reading more about the mission these winemakers share, I'll definitely be buying more wine from Chile. In Dan Q. Dao's article, he states "A majority of its winemakers have adopted an ambitious code, with standards around planting vineyards, energy consumption, and labor safety, in the hopes that by 2025 Chile will be the world's largest producer of sustainable wines.". 
Man, if environmentally friendly and wine aren't right up my ally, I don't know what is!

Chile is nearly 2,700 miles long but Dao suggests you can get a good idea of what the country has to offer by visiting areas just north and south of the capital, Santiago. One winery I want to highlight, is Matetic in the Rosario Valley. They are one of the original sustainable winemakers and proudly promote their 100% organic and bio-dynamic vineyard. Their four core values are Respect, Innovation, Excellence, and Sustainability. The vineyards were planted in 1999 with a focus on the Syrah grape which their 2004 EQ Syrah was on the Wine Spectator's 100 Best Wines of the Year for 2006. They also use a wonderful recycling program, vermiculture, which degrades waste from their vineyard, winery, and restaurant to be used as fertilizer. This winery is definitely on my list! For more information, visit: https://matetic.com/

In addition to the wine market, Chile boasts breathtaking views along the pacific coast and the Andes mountains. Chile was never before on my radar but now I cannot wait to go! As if it couldn't get any better, the areas around Santiago are truly year round destinations! 
At the end of each post I'll provide a completely bookable itinerary! Check out this trip that includes all the major sights to see in Chile along with a wine tour of your choice: 

To learn more or book your dream vacation, visit my website here!


Comments